Monday, August 21, 2006

A visit to Shatti (Reminds you of our 5th std. essay days?)

So, I met up with a few last week. I’m sure they’re meeting up all the time, what with being guys and being absolutely vela. But with my oh-so-busy schedule, I could only make time to meet them once.

Shetty, along with Vicky, came to pick me up. The first thing Shetty tells me is that I’ve lost weight. “Aah, it’s going to be a great day”, I thought. I looked at Vicky and immediately got an inferiority complex. He has longer hair than me!!!! Anyway, after surviving a few of their PJs (which almost killed me), and Shetty’s MP3 collection (which was incidentally still stuck in the year 1942), we picked up Bishen from the Indian Social Club.

From there, it was a LONG ride to Shatti Plaza (where I’ve never been to before) amidst Bishen’s “chutter-puttar” (as Shetty calls it), Shetty’s crazy laughter and Vicky’s imitation of very nasal-sounding songs.

We reach Shatti where we’re to meet up with Sharma (Arun). We open the car doors, only to be welcomed by the stink of fish rotting somewhere! Shetty is almost gagging and Vicky’s not too pleased either while Bishen tries to remind them that we are next to the sea. Smart! All my hopes of actually seeing the inside of the Plaza were crushed when we walked to the opposite building and stood outside a shady-looking place. After a few furtive glances between the three of them, it is decided that Vicky would make the bold move of bringing Sharma out.

It turns out that Sharma is quite distressed about a number written on his shorts, right in the area of the crotch. 52041, I think! It didn’t help his situation that Bishen was the first one to notice it!!! (We still love you, Bishen!) And he was also armed with a reason, “It’s the tailor, I’m telling you!” Sharma claims that he feels like he’s out of some mass production factory and everyone laughs, and luckily that’s the end of that weird scene.

Then, 2 shady-looking guys come out of the afore-mentioned shady-looking place, and it’s no surprise that they are friends of these four. As the taller of the two stops to chat (why are guys so bloody tall these days?), Arun suggests that we take a stroll. So, Bishen, Arun and I walk off, and are hardly gone a few steps when who do we bump into? None other than Ravi Kiran, sucking away to glory on a hookah. He’s accompanied by another tall guy (cute though), both working on something on a laptop. RK’s ballooned up quite a bit since I last saw him. (The rest of them are just the same, except for Vicky’s hair.)

All of us sit down at that road-side hookah place, all plans for a stroll being squashed. There are innumerous conversations going on at the same time. Sometimes Bishen talks to me while RK talks to Shetty while Vicky talks to Arun, when Arun talks to me and Bishen talks to tall guy and Vicky joins RK’s and Shetty’s discussion. All that I gathered from that 30-45 minutes is that some dude is getting a pretty good starting salary to create an adult diaper, Malcolm does not go by the name Malcolm anymore, Bishen gets way too many calls, the laptop is not RK’s, and that Arun would rather be discussing something else because the conversation has now stopped onto a very intellectually stimulating debate on if Vicky should be called Kkrish 1.5 or Dhoom 2.5 (due to his long hair, of course).

It’s time to leave as Bishen and Vicky have got dinner plans at some shady Pakistani restaurant; too shady to take me along with them. “I get the message, guys! Hmph.” There’s a long discussion about who’s going to drop me back, and Shetty ends up taking all three of us. We say our goodbyes to Arun and split ways. After we brave the disgusting stench yet again, we successfully get into the car alive. Shetty then sprays the entire interior with his Playboy scent and we had to then deal with that smell!!!

I get dropped off to my place, and as I walk back home, I realize why old friends will always remain important to me. I may have been a mere spectator in those 2 hours I spent with them, but I will always remember those small precious moments that made that day special – be it Shetty’s ridiculously stupid jokes, Arun’s warm hug, or Bishen and Vicky’s shared vocal passion for all things Himesh (Reshammiya, of course)!

5 Comments:

Blogger Sid said...

Himesh Rules!
Hey I guess at same time that you guys were meeting up, there was sumthin similar going on here in Bengaluru. What a coincidence.

10:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

himesh is godddd

6:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahahah..damn i think i missed something there...but still lets make some more plans so u have more to write on the site... :)

12:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hehe tht was an awsome article.. hehe i must confess vidya, ur writing skills r still very gud.. maybe u shud write a novel some day..

well as u said, it was really AWSOME meetin up tht day.. hehe n now i know y the skool days r so special.. cos no matter when n where we meet skool mates, we always hav somethin 2 talk bout.. b it those borin lectures or those class picnics or anythin fer tht matter.. im lookin fwd 2 meetin up wid every1 really soon!!
cheers
bishen

1:19 AM  
Blogger Sid said...

Hye there is an option in blogger settings which allows you to add members. Check it out. Have the picson the ready.

1:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home